City of Pflugerville is on the search for a strategic Public Works leader with experience in a growth environment as our next . Were looking for an experienced Public Works Director for Utilities (Water/Wastewater), Street, and Fleet Maintenance who has experience in high-level customer service. This is an exciting time to become part of our leadership team with a $50 million expansion to our wastewater treatment plant, roads maintenance plans using PCI scores, our water/sewer master plan, integration of traffic signals, and our stormwater utility project underway. This position also works closely with the Capital Improvement Projects team.
The Public Works Director plans, organizes and directs the activities of the Public Works departments which include Utilities (Water & Wastewater), Streets, and Fleet Maintenance to ensure all Public Works projects comply with federal, state and local regulations, codes, standards and generally accepted practices along with managing an annual department and capital expenditure budget. The Director manages and supervises department personnel, and interfaces directly and frequently with City management, City Council, and other City employees, and with the general public.
1. Direct and coordinate Public Works Department staff (Utilities (W/WW), Streets, and Fleet Maintenance divisions) and operations to ensure effective and efficient operations; hire and supervise department staff; assign, schedule, and review work; deliver or provide for work-related training/education; complete performance evaluations; conduct counseling and take disciplinary measures as indicated as required.
2. Prepare overall Public Works budget and monitor budget expenses; review and approve departmental expenditures.
3. Develop and implement departmental policies and procedures; ensure department personnel comply with City policies and procedures. Responsible for the development, implementation and monitoring of short and long-term goals for Public Works and assigned divisions.
4. Prepare regular monthly reports and special reports regarding Public Works Department operations as requested by City management or the City Council.
5. Attend City Council meetings, as required; interface with other City and community organizations, as requested.
You should bring with you a sound working knowledge of public works administration and an ability to apply general management principles and professional, administrative, and technical knowledge in public administration, project management, public works operations and construction, and other relevant fields.
Advanced knowledge pertaining to the construction, operation, and maintenance of water and wastewater plants and infrastructures, streets, drainage systems, and environmental protection measures is required alongside a thorough understanding of the budgeting process and applicable City, state, and federal regulations and guidelines pertaining to areas of responsibility and overall City operations. Due to the nature of this position, you should have demonstrated experiences establishing and maintaining professionally effective relationships with the external public and vendors, internal management and non-management employees, and City and other government officials. Excellent communication and analytical skills are also a necessity. You should also have an understanding of computer and other standard office equipment, including spreadsheets and data inquiry software.
This position requires a bachelors degree in public administration, business administration, or civil engineering along with five or more years of progressive municipal government management experience with an emphasis in utility, street, and drainage projects along with 10 or more years of progressively responsible experience. If the projects weve described and the challenges of a growing City excite you, we want to hear from you!
Please click here to apply: