The Diversity Affairs Communication intern will work in the office of the Salt Lake County Mayor and will have an opportunity to learn skills from within the Mayor's Office for Diversity Affairs. A mentor will be assigned to guide and assist the intern's development and growth.
The intern will report directly to the Director of Diversity and Inclusion. Students are expected to embrace diversity; they should be able to work with and engage with people from diverse communities in Salt Lake County.
This is a paid internship; the intern will receive $7.25/hour and can work up to 205 hours during the term. A Monday through Friday schedule is preferred, and hours are flexible to accommodate a school schedule. Days and hours will be mutually determined by the Director and intern.
Candidates who study in a related field and are self-motivated will be considered. Must have interest in diversity issues. Basic English writing skills and computer knowledge are required. Second language a plus, but not required. Students with focus in Social Sciences, Political Science, Communications, Marketing, Social Work, International Studies, or Language Studies preferred; but all applicants welcome.
Have obtained at least sophomore status in a Bachelor degree program OR be enrolled in Graduate degree program.
* The following duties and responsibilities are intended to be representative of the work performed by the incumbent(s) in this position and are not all-inclusive. The omission of specific duties and responsibilities will not preclude it from the position. Applicants must be prepared to demonstrate the ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
* Assist in maintaining weekly newsletters (Mail Chimp), events, and job postings.
* Assist in maintaining the diversity website www.slco.org/diversity; updating, inputting information, and posting photos of community events.
* Assist in the planning and production of the Office of Diversity Affairs events.
* Attend Council on Diversity Affairs (CODA) subcommittee meetings; record minutes of the meetings and send meeting reminders.
* Manage and schedule high school presentations.
* Manage and schedule community diversity training requests.
* Participate in the Internship Leadership events, which are most often luncheons with leaders from within the County. The purposes are to help interns build leadership skills and to provide networking opportunities.
* Post internal and external events on the Diversity Calendar.
* Update the contact database.