We are an exciting academically focused urban District serving all students from diverse backgrounds. SLP is a vibrant growing organization and a leading employer in the area. Are you up for a challenge to impact the future? Would you like to join a team of the best, the brightest and most caring people to find bold new ways to serve approximately 5000 students and their families? You'll find opportunities to grow and develop as we work together to learn together to create the environment that creates learning for staff and the students we serve. Are you ready? It's time to do your life's best work with us.
Title: Licensed School Nurse
Department: Special Education
Group: P.A.T- Teacher
Reports to: Director of Special Service
DBM Classification: C43
Prepared Date: February 2016
FTE: 1.0 (40 hours per week)
For More Information, Please Contact: Jason Loewe, Human Resource ...@slpschools.org
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for applying the nursing process (assessment, planning, delivery, assurance and evaluation) to coordinated health care for individual students and the population of students including training, delegation, monitoring and supervision of health care delivered by Health Services Assistants, Licensed Practical Nurses and/or other school staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Member of Special Education team providing nursing assessments and educational support services to special needs students. * Manage the care of individual students with special health needs through assessment, planning, assurance and evaluation. Interpret health findings for educational staff regarding impact of health concerns on learning and accommodations required at school. * Interpret to medical providers the school related needs of students. * Conduct health reviews and school nurse health assessments (when necessary) on students being evaluated for special education or receiving special education services. * Participate on IEP (Individual Education Plan) team for students with health/sensory/physical concerns or impairments that may interfere with learning including providing special education related services (direct and/or indirect) in the area of health/physical when needed. * Develop and implement individual health plans (IHP) and emergency health plans (EHP) for students with handicapping health conditions that require accommodations to attend school. * Perform skilled nursing procedures, and delegate nursing care procedures when appropriate (see delegation guidelines) including planning, training, monitoring and supervision of delegation using clear written plans for delegates to follow. * Participate on a multidisciplinary team that promotes student resiliency and may address the physical and social/emotional health needs of students and plan interventions. * Assist students and families in obtaining health care in the community by referrals to appropriate providers and agencies. * Performs other tasks and assumes other responsibilities as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
* Knowledge in the fundamentals, principles and practices of nursing care procedures, methods and techniques; * Knowledge of relevant public health laws, guidelines and rules pertaining to student health care and nursing care services; * Knowledge of District administrative rules and procedures pertaining to health care services and operations; * Knowledge of medical terminology, diseases, current health care issues, concerns and trends. * Fundamentals of child health and development. * Knowledge of District administrative procedures, policies and guidelines. * Knowledge of community resources, health agencies and social service organizations in the community. * Assessing, evaluating, planning and implementing health care and health care services within the district; * Coordinating, delegating, monitoring and directing health aides. * Planning, implementing and instructing students and staff in health care issues and concepts; * Delivering and conducting skilled nursing treatments, first aid and emergency health services; * Organizing, implementing and maintaining health records, documentation and reporting requirements. * Conducting and implementing of various health screenings. * Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, department heads, and officials. * Computer skills of databases, reports, spreadsheets, documents, correspondence and E-mail. * Maintaining confidentiality and data privacy.
* The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. * While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk; and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and the ability to adjust focus.
* The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. * Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
* Requires Bachelor's degree in Nursing. * Minimum of One year public health or nursing experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
* Requires licensure as a Registered Nurse; Public Health Nurse Certification and MN licensure as a School Nurse. * Public Health certification from Minnesota Board of Nursing. * Current CPR certification for the Healthcare Professional and current First Aid certification.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other protected characteristics.