LOCATION OF (1) POSITION TO BE FILLED: DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTION, PROBATION AND PAROLE FIELD SUPERVISION DIVISION, PROGRAMMED SUPERVISION UNIT (PSU), BRADLEY COUNTY
Education and Experience: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree and experience equivalent to three years of full-time professional level experience in one or more of the following: probation/parole, counseling, social work, investigative, or legal experience.
Substitution of Graduate Course Work for Experience: Graduate course work credit received from an accredited college or university in social science, behavioral science, criminal justice, criminology, social work, and/or law may substitute for the required experience to a maximum of two years (e.g., an additional 36 graduate quarter hours in one or a combination of the above-listed fields may substitute for one year of the required experience).
Necessary Special Qualifications: Applicants for this class must:
* Be willing to and able to qualify with, carry, and use assigned weapons; * Be at least eighteen (18) years of age on the date of application; * Be a citizen of the United States; * Have a good moral character, as determined by investigation; * Complete a criminal history disclosure form in a manner approved by the appointing authority; * Agree to release all records involving their criminal history to the appointing authority; * Supply a fingerprint sample in a manner prescribed by the TBI for a fingerprint based criminal history records check; * Have no conviction for a felony or any domestic assault convictions or have been discharged under any other than honorable conditions from any branch of the United States armed forces; * Pass a physical examination administered by a licensed physician that is consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act and that relates to the essential functions of the position; * Pass a psychological evaluation administered by a licensed mental health professional that is consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act and that relates to the essential functions of the position; * Submit to and pass a pre-employment screening test for use of illegal drugs; * Possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license at the time of appointment; * Upon appointment, successfully complete all additional prescribed course of instruction at the Tennessee Correction Academy and any and all on-line training.
Examination Method: Education and Experience, 100%, for Preferred Service positions.
Summary: Under general supervision, is responsible for professional probation and parole work of considerable difficulty; performs related work as required.
Distinguishing Features: This is the lead or minor supervisory class in the Probation/Parole Officer series. An employee in this class leads or may supervise a small staff of subordinates in probation and/or parole work. This class differs from that of Probation/ Parole Officer 2 in that the incumbent of the latter functions at the working level. This class differs from the Probation/ Parole Manager in that an incumbent of the latter supervises a moderate-sized probation and/or parole staff.
* Problem Solving * Directing Others * Ethics and Values * Written Communications * Time Management * Functional/Technical Competencies * Approachability * Decision Quality * Informing * Organizing
* Administration and Management * Clerical * Customer and Personal Service * Law and Government * Psychology * Public Safety and Security
* Active Listening * Complex Problem Solving * Critical Thinking * Instructing * Learning Strategies * Monitoring * Persuasion * Reading Comprehension * Service Orientation * Social Perceptiveness * Speaking * Time Management * Writing
* Auditory Attention * Deductive Reasoning * Information Ordering * Oral Comprehension * Oral Expression * Problem Sensitivity * Speech Clarity * Time Sharing * Written Comprehension
Associated topics: border patrol, border security, fire, fire division chief, fire marshal i, fire protection, fire protection engineer, prison, public safety, violence
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.